Sometimes when I turn the key the starter doesn't turn. But I get a click from the solenoid. I did a bunch of diagnostics and checks.
1. Check all the battery cables and ground strips.
2. Check the connection to the solenoid.
3. Take the brown and white wire on the alternator and ground it then see if the ignition light comes on (this makes sure the ignition light works).
- The light is good but I think I could work on the alternator connections a little - I didn't really clean them that well and I should go back and do it properly.
4. Took it to advance auto parts and had them run a check on the system. Here is the result.
Fascinating stuff. Well it turns out that the starter isn't looking too good. So I took it off and had a look. This is what I found.
So I think I will replace the starter and solenoid. I should be able to get the pair for under $150. The rubber seal is really messed up and the starter is the original lucas one, so it has seen some good service. I'll run by the auto part store and order one this week.