Friday, July 6, 2007

Starter relay. The case of the missing wires...

Sometimes when I turn the key I can hear the starter solenoid engage, but I just get a click. So I decided to check the relay connections.

This is going to get detailed so grab a coffee..

According to page 78 of Rick Astley’s “MGB Electrical Systems” my late model B should have 4 wires attached to the starter relay.

Brown/White to 30
White/Red to 86
Black to 85
Brown to 87

Here’s what I have:
Brown to 30
Black to 85

White/Red and Brown/White wires connected to each other.

The first picture shows the terminals of the starter relay.

The second picture shows the white/red wires connected (with a headless nail) to the brown/white wires.

The car starts most times, but often it will require several attempts to get past the click.

When I connect the wires according to Rick Astley’s book I get nothing – no clicks, nothing.

My suspicion is that a PO decided that the relay was bad and decided to bypass it. Would the above connections bypass the relay or is there something else going on here? Is it even possible to bypass the relay?? I am guessing I probably should just get a new relay.

I submitted this question to the great folks at mgexeperience.net. I'll see what they say...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any news about this wire problem?

Rich said...

Yes - a previous owner had effectively bypassed the starter relay (because it was defective). The meant that the ignition ciruit was handling all the ignition current. I bought and installed a new relay. See this post
http://1977mgb.blogspot.com/2007/07/new-starter-relay.html