Monday, October 1, 2007

Levelling a leaning car

A common problem for MGBs is that they tend to lean a little to the drivers side. Speculation abounds as to the cause of this, but it seems most likely it is a function of the car being driven by one person and the springs on the left hand side getting saggy. An alternative explanation is that the car's body contorts due to the torque being created by the engine. This seems hard to believe.

My car leans, so I wanted to fix it.
Here are the original ride height numbers (measured from center of hub to bottom of chrome strip)
Original:
FL: 15"
FR: 16"
RL: 15.5"
RR: 16"
The car has a 1" lean at the front and a 1/2" lean at the back.


I then jacked up the front end and put axle stands under the front cross member. The rear ride height numbers are:
RL: 15.5
RR: 16"
From this I deduce that I have a 1/2 inch lean in my rear springs.


I then put the car back down and jacked up the rear end and put axle stands on the front of the rear spring mounts.
The front ride height numbers are:
FL: 16.5
FR: 16
Note that I the difference from left to right is only 1/2 inch not 1 inch. It seems as though the rear lean of 1/2 inch was also being reflected in the front.
It also seems reasonable to think that the front springs also have a 1/2inch sag to the left.


So, based on earlier advice, I switched the rear springs from left to right. These are the numbers I got then...
After switching the rear springs.
FL: 15.5
FR: 16
RL: 16
RR: 16

It looks like the front lean is likely due to the front springs, as the rear sag is all but gone. At this stage, I think that I will go all out and get a lowering kit
and lower the front and the back.

2 comments:

papalew said...

guitarrich
I see by following your posts that it seems you installed a Weber 45mchh carb then a Weber DGV downdraft. Was there a problem with the 45 mchh?

Rich said...

I had some issues with the MCHH - I could never get rid of vacuum leaks which meant that the idle was always a little high and the car ran unevenly. I think alot of the issue was due to the heat shield interferring. Eventually I got tired of messing with it and went with the DGV and new exhaust which I have been very pleased with. Having said that, I know of several folks at mgexperience.net who have installed the MCHH and got it running well. They seem very pleased with the results. Go to that forum and search for MCHH for more info.