Saturday, February 23, 2008

Electric radiator fan

I finally got around to installing the new fan. That was after I put in the new radiator because I punched a hole in the old one. I'll still try and get the old one fixed though.

Installing the fan was pretty easy once I got going. I installed a thermostat control so that it comes on when the radiator is hot. I also wired it to the ignition side of the fuse box so that it will go off when the engine is turned off. Finally I included a bypass switch that is mounted on the dash (in place of the dimmer which I plan to bypass as it is useless). The bypass switch allows me to turn on the fan even if the thermostat hasn't kicked in. Basically an override. I even found a switch at advance auto that has a little red LED in it that comes on when the fan is on. Cool.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There - just found your blogspot today as I was searching for ZS Stromberg to Weber carb conversion kits. Great blog ! I am driving a 1979 MGB and had received some valuable info from the guys at Flying circus/ Durham today who have obviously also done your installation. Are you a member of of the NCMGCC ??

Rich said...

Yes Andy, FCEC did the installation of the weber and peco. They are great. I am a member of NCMGCC - another great bunch of folks.

Anonymous said...

hope to see you at the club's breakfast sometime or at one of the noggin and natter ! safety fast !

RR said...

Its great having your blog to review procedures when I work on my 79 MGB.
But I know much less than you.
I need to install an auxillary fan with a cowl shroud to draw the air through the radiator (a puller).
But I have no idea how to hook it up to the fuse box. Could you send me a pic of your assembly, one that might help a real dweeb. I ORDERD THE MGB ELECTRICAL BOOK YOU RECOMMENDED, THANKS

thanks

Randy Roll
REROL@COMCAST.NET

Rich said...

Randy - I'll see if I can get a picture or maybe draw out my circuit. The instructions for the fan were pretty helpful. The key is to figure out which is the terminal on the fuse box that is wired to the ignition - i.e. live when the key is turned. From memory, I think it is the second from the bottom on the left as you look at the box. But you can check with a voltmeter - just see if there is current there when the key is turned.
The bottom terminal is live all the time. This means that the fan won't turn off when the engine goes off.
I do recommend the electrical systems book - I did quite a bit of reading and then I tested my circuits before wiring them up permanently.
Best of luck.

Rich

electric radiator said...

Wow, great blog.

I love helpful blogs like this. I know nothing about cars!

Claire
x