Thursday, January 10, 2008

Brighter brake lights

My brake lights are really not that bright, so I decided to refurbish them a little. It was an easy project. I removed the lenses and put them in the dishwasher. The reflectors got a good cleaning and then were sprayed with a shiny silver paint. The end result is a big difference.

But what if this is not enough - what can you do to make them even brighter?

First of all, I also plan to install a third brake light on the luggage rack, so although this doesn't make them brighter, it will improve overall visibility. For the brake lights themselves, you might be tempted to put in halogen bulbs - but I have heard that these can melt the lenses. Also the extra current draw would shorten the life of the brake switch. LEDs are a possibility, but these have the drawback that they are directional, and therefore the reflectors will have no effect. Super bright LEDs are available, but they are pricey. Upgrading to more powerful incandescent bulbs will also strain the electrics, but you can get around this by installing a relay to handle the brakes.

For now, I'll stick with what I've done, and install the third brake light.

No comments: